Friday, June 28, 2013

June 28: Drive to Columbus and Hike in Highbanks

Yesterday, we drove from Franklin, North Carolina, to Columbus, Ohio. It's a long drive. We left the house in North Carolina at 9:00 in the morning, and we stopped a few miles north of Knoxville, Tennessee, for lunch a bit after noon. We ate at a Mexican joint called La Fiesta, which was very interestingly decorated. There was this water fixture in the middle of the restaurant. I didn't really get it, but that's just me.


There were also a lot of things on the ceiling. Too much?


I had a chimichanga, and I was happy. A few hours later, when we were outside of Lexington, Kentucky, the car exhaust unhinged itself from the back of the car, and started dragging on the road. We pulled over, called AAA, and a guy named Bill came out in a tow truck and put the exhaust back up.


Everything ended up being fine. Bill followed us on the interstate for maybe 10 miles, just to make sure everything was alright. He was very nice. That whole thing was a delay of maybe an hour or an hour and a half. Not too terrible. On the road again, we passed by an interesting sign. (Hint: it's not the Harley-Davidson sign.) 


For the record, a lot of Quakers I know are vegetarian. Anyway, maybe an hour later, we passed through Cincinnati at rush hour. Here a picture of the Cincy skyline:


We made it to Columbus at around 8:00. My relatives Earl and Alyn live here; Earl is my Aunt Kate's father, and Alyn is his wife. We ate dinner, and went to bed pretty early. This morning, Josh and I went to Highbanks Metro Park, about a mile away from Earl and Alyn's house. We went hiking, and it's surprisingly woody for Ohio.


Here's a picture of the Olentangy River that runs by the path.


Right before we left the park, we came across a gigantic dandelion. Neither one of us had seen one that big before.


Here's a picture of the road that runs through the park. I liked how the clouds looked. Luckily, we left right before it started raining.


One thing I forgot: Earl works at Ohio State, which is the big Michigan rival. Luckily, he doesn't care about the rivalry, but let's just say I won't be wearing my Michigan T-shirt in Columbus.

Trip odometer: 866.5 miles
Currently listening to: Music of Ola Gjeilo, sung by the Phoenix Chorale

No comments:

Post a Comment