Monday, July 1, 2013

July 1: Mini Golf and National Fencing Championships

Today, Josh and I tried to go to the American Whistle Corporation factory in Columbus. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get through their phone lines to schedule a tour. I don't know why their lines were so busy; it seemed a bit strange for a whistle factory. Anyway, we decided to go play mini golf.


We learned that the course is a part of Guinness World Record history.


We had a good time. I won the first round, and Josh won the second round.


After the games, we went to a part of town called the Short North, which is a neighborhood just north of downtown. There's a lot of restaurants and shops and things. We grabbed a bite at the Press Grill, which was fine. Then we walked around, and came across a street sign:


One way: my way.

While walking around, we came across, of all things, the National Fencing Championships. It was huge!


Pictures can't capture how gigantic the event was. We had a lot of fun just watching some of the matches. There were some great fencers there! (Well, it IS nationals.)


I think bow tie man is one of their leaders:


I got to try out some of the equipment:


The helmet was cool.


Arnold Schwarzenegger's picture on a fencing poster? More power to him, I guess.


It was a neat experience. Very serendipitous. Walking back to the car, I got a shot of a Short North arch.


Earl, Alyn, Josh, and I had a good dinner together, and then Josh and I watched Knocked Up. Hilarious movie! The two of us leave for Chicago tomorrow.

Trip odometer: 898.7 miles
Currently listening to: Kendrick Lamar

No comments:

Post a Comment