Saturday, July 20, 2013

July 20: Arches and a Thrown Rod

Thursday afternoon, after getting our hotel room in Moab, Utah, Josh and I took a drive around Arches National Park. We saw Balanced Rock:


Delicate Arch:


Something else!


Got this shot of Moab while coming back.


When we got back to the hotel, our old classmate Oliver (a future Georgia Tech-er with Josh) sent me a message on Facebook saying that he was in Moab for the past week. He gave us a suggestion for an outdoors store in Moab and a hike in Arches. In the morning, we went to the store he suggested, called GearHeads. It's a cool place. We stocked up on Cliff Bars, and then we hit the trail.

Side note: My camera's 18-70 lens no longer has autofocus, and it makes a really weird sound when the body is on, so I've mainly using my 55-200 lens. And both of my lend caps are broken.

Oliver suggested the Double O Arch trail, which is leads to the (wait for it…) Double O Arch.


Josh climbed up the fin.


We hiked back to the trailhead, and then drove towards Denver. We stopped for lunch in Grand Junction, Colorado. We ate at a Mexican restaurant called Cafe Rio.

It. Was. Amazing.


Everything was spot-on, from the made-to-order tortillas to the queso to the house-made strawberry lemonade. Delicious.

The drive up to the Continental Divide was uneventful. Then, about 40 miles west of Denver, the car started making a bit of weird sound, and was having a bit of an acceleration problem. We pulled off at the nearest exit and checked under the hood. It wasn't an oil problem, so Josh called AAA. When the tow truck finally came, the driver asked us to start the engine. He immediately knew what the problem was: the car threw a rod. The car is not going to make it back to Atlanta.


My Aunt Kate's friend Denise and her boyfriend live in Denver, and we were already planning on staying with them for the weekend. When I told Denise about the car, she said she would come and pick us up. She suggested a pizza place to go to while waiting. They came just a few minutes after we got to the restaurant, so we all ate dinner together. It was a lot of fun sharing our stories from the road. After the meal, we went to my car, and packed everything up into their car. I said my goodbyes, and we rode into Denver.

The plan is to have a good weekend in Denver, and fly back home in a few days. My parents, Josh, and I are still working everything out, but Josh and I have tickets for the Rockies vs. Cubs game tonight! I'm looking forward to it.

Final trip odometer reading: 5748.6 miles
Currently listening to: J. Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment