Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 3: Drive to Chicago and Day in Downtown

Yesterday morning, Josh and I left Columbus for Chicago. Before we left, I got a picture of Earl and Alyn.


They were wonderful hosts. Once we were on the road, we didn't stop much. There was not a lot to see while driving through Indiana. Look, windmills!


That was probably the most exciting view in Indiana. We ate our lunches in the car, since we packed sandwiches that morning. We made it to Chicago with no issues. My grandmom lives just outside of the city, and we were greeted by her, her husband John, and my Aunt Lolly. Aunt Lolly (a.k.a. Colleen) lives in Minneapolis, and she was just visiting her mom for a few days.

Josh and I went to the local park to throw the Frisbee, and then we made homemade pizza for dinner. After dinner, Colleen left for Minneapolis, and the two of us will we staying with her this weekend. Josh and I had a low-key evening.

Today, we went to downtown Chicago. We took the CTA into town, and then we went to Millenium Park. We took pictures at the Cloud Gate sculpture ("The Bean") in the park.


With the bean!


We wandered around Millenium Park, and stumbled into a Grant Park Orchestra open rehearsal. They sounded fantastic. The orchestra is putting on an Independence Day Eve concert tonight, but there's a strong chance of rain. This Friday, the orchestra is playing Dvořák's Symphony No. 9 "New World," which is one of my favorites, and Josh and I might try to go. We'll see if we make it. The orchestra has some good works lined up for the summer, including William Bolcom's Ragomania (Michigan represent!) and John Adam's Harmonium.


My camera stopped working after that. It wasn't out of batteries, so maybe it's just getting old and fidgety. Hopefully the camera will be fine, but if I need it, I can get a new body for pretty cheap.

After the park, we walked up to a stretch of Chicago called the Magnificent Mile. We wandered for a few minutes, and then we ate lunch at a sushi place. I had a pretty good fried tofu salad, but it was tough to eat with chopsticks. After lunch, we walked to Navy Pier, which is where the big Fourth of July fireworks display is happening tomorrow night. We walked back to the train, and now we're back at my grandmom's place.

Josh and I are making dinner tonight. Looking forward to it!

Trip odometer: 1279.8 miles
Currently listening to: WBEZ 91.5 Chicago Public Radio

1 comment: